WHY I'M RUNNING
New York City is devastated. I never thought I would write those words. Not long ago I was concerned about quality of life issues on the Upper East Side, but now, like many of my neighbors, I am uneasy about security and safety.
Crime is uncontainable and violent. Homelessness has invaded every pocket of our neighborhoods. Public schools are barely functioning and businesses have closed for good. Churches and indoor dining are either sealed shut or reduced to minimal occupancy. Residents have moved out of the city faster than a New York minute. Meanwhile our elected officials arrogantly dismiss public suffering with superiority and indifference.
We entered into a pandemic and ended up in a “plandemic” caused by autocrats shaming us to shut up, shut down and submit to their plan.
We can’t rebuild a city while it is burning and right now, we MUST put out the fire. It’s time to save our city and SAVE THE UPPER EAST SIDE, SUTTON PLACE & TURTLE BAY!
- REVERSE “No Bail” Reform – do the crime, do the time and pay the fine. No exceptions. No excuses. Crime has skyrocketed, and our neighbors deserve to feel safe.
- HOMELESSNESS – Is a humanitarian and a health crisis. Converting boutique hotels into shelters is a disservice to the homeless and a safety risk to residents. Don’t incarcerate, legislate for the homeless.
- SUPPORT the NYPD – Refund the police in order to recruit new officer trainee programs that disqualify misfits who do not pass stricter aptitude and psychological tests. Increase officer pay to match the average salary of MTA workers who earn nearly $20K more per year. Establish neighborhood rounds, community involvement, and police pal programs. Invest in a public service campaign to restore respect for the people who protect us. LET THE NYPD DO THEIR JOB!
- EDUCATION – Reopen schools fully and safely. We need school choices: charter schools, “needs based” voucher programs, and expanded options for trade schools. “At-risk” children need nutritional selections that include three meals per day. Teachers who are “At-risk” must replace themselves with subsitute teachers in classrooms.
- REAL ESTATE – Implement tax incentives for landlords and tenants. Reform archaic zoning laws to serve our modern city needs. Develop new business models to fill empty commercial and retail spaces with tax abatements. Tax free shopping on all services and merchandise. No sales tax applied to hospitality or restaurant establishemnts.
City Hall and Albany have overspent on frivolous projects, mismanaged funds, approved toxic laws, and scorned civilian rights. The result? A city handcuffed and imprisoned by its very leaders who took an oath, first and foremost, to protect its citizens.
If you’re fed up like me, NOW is the time to SAVE THE UPPER EAST SIDE!
VOTE JUDY GRAHAM – NYS ASSEMBLY – NOVEMBER 3
Make sure to tune in to Tuesday’s with Judy each week to see Why I’m Running. Featured below are two episodes that truly exhibit my motivations to run for this position.